• print
  • large font

Touristinformation Altenahr

Touristinformation Altenahr
Weinort Altenahr e.V.
Altenburger Straße 1a
53505 Altenahr
Tel.: 02643/8448
Fax: 02643/3516
Mail:
info@altenahr-ahr.de

Join us on facebook!

Opening times

Mo - Fr:
10.00 Uhr - 15.00 Uhr

Closed on Weekends and public holidays

Weather

 

The next festivals:

Castle "Burg Are"

Grundriss Burg Are
Burg Are
Grundriss Burg Are
Burg Are
Grundriss Burg Are
Short historical overview of Burg Are

1095/1105 Construction of the castle Burg Are by Earl Theoderich

1121 First mention of the Burg Are in documents: Earl Theoderich is reeve of Steinfeld Abbey

1205 The castle comes into the sole possession of the Earl of Are-Hochstaden

1246 The earldom of Are with Burg Are is given as a gift to the church in Cologne: The castle became the official residence of the office of Altenahr and state prison of the archbishops of Cologne. In the course of the following centuries the castle and the office of Altenahr are regularly pawned to various (pawn) lords.
 
1374 The castle is extended and fortified under Archbishop Walram

1426 Further expansions of the castle buildings: Southern expansion of the great hall, construction of the Grey Tower, restoration of the well

16th century Renovation of the keep, construction of a new bakery and brewery

1689/90 Nine month long siege and bombardment of the castle buildings by French troops with subsequent capture. As a consequence, alternating sieges from 1706 by troops of the cathedral chapter

1714 Final destruction of the castle under Electoral Prince Joseph Clemens, blowing up of all parts of the building and construction of a new administrative building at the foot of the castle hill


Burg Are
Klick on the photo and enjoy an 360° overview of the castle (Quick time player necessary!)